Welcome to 2015! In this powerful conversation, John Boyens, sales growth expert and co-founder of the Boyens Group breaks down 15 success tips for the coming year into three categories: 1) Have a specific strategy for 2015; 2) Spend intentional time thinking vs executing the business and 3) Include the team in your process
What are the elements of your 2015 strategy?
1. Define success: what does success mean to your business or organization?
2. Create business metrics: define the measurements that will ensure you reach your definition of success.
3. Know your customer: what is an ideal customer (profile existing customers so you can find more of the them).
4. Know your competition: both today as well as who might venture into your space in the future.
5. Create your position: how do you want the marketplace and your employees to think/believe about you?
6. Execute: create a business plan that puts your strategy into action.
How can leaders balance the strategic and tactical elements of their role?
7. Balance strategic and tactical efforts: hit the “pause” button periodically to think strategically about the business. This will drive the tactical elements of your business.
8. Work with others who are successful: learn from them; look for connectors to break down barriers in your desired network; share best practices with others.
9. Revisit your sales process: know why customers don’t choose you (and choose the competition ) ad well as why they choose you over others – this identifies your brand strengths.
10. Timing: review progress to your business strategy on a quarterly basis. Evaluate metrics and use of time monthly. Re-align as needed when unique events or circumstances occur in the market.
How do you include your team in this process?
11. You need your team’s buy-in.Involve them and ask for feedback on execution.
12. Share business metrics with the team and let them know what the competition is doing.
13. Keep the focus simple: identify 2-3 elements and allow your team to make an impact.
14. Give them the authority to take care of the customer.
And tip #15?
Follow the plan. Be diligent. No excuses. Make this year “different” and you will see results in the coming year. Here’s to a great 2015!
The Boyens Group is a sales and management consulting and training firm that provides custom-designed offerings to help businesses grow results.
Connect with John at boyens.com or at (615) 395-0200.